Friday, January 14, 2022

WILL YOUR COLLEGE DEGREE be a good investment?

Probably not, unless it's skills-related.

And even then, at the graduate (masters/doctorate) level, it's probably iffy. Many years ago I looked into the cost/benefit of my own graduate degrees. The masters degree was net positive in that I was able to qualify for a job I wanted, the doctorate was net negative, to the tune of about $80K in then-year dollars. (But then, I can, if I wish, call myself Dr. So-and-so.)

Even today I see data that indicates a PhD is still a net negative except as an entry ticket into certain professions, or (as in my case) proof that I could climb that intellectual mountain.

Added thought: If you think of your degree -- especially a bachelor's degree -- as a door opener and not much else, you can't go far wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment