Saturday, March 23, 2013

THE HIGH COSTS of Medicare’s low prices. It's not just Medicare, and it's the entire medical 'industry' -- politicians, pharmacuticals, insurers, hospitals, and doctors -- that have driven costs through the roof.

Two quick personal examples. I recently went to have my teeth cleaned and check out a new dental practice for future business. They refused to do the cleaning until I had a 'comprehensive dental examination'. I walked out. The last time I went to my family physician to have my blood pressure medications renewed, he insisted I have a complete physical, including an electrocardiagram and prostate exam. I'm now looking for another physician.

It seems to me that I should have some say in what medical/dental/etc. procedures I need and am willing to pay for. But this is paid by your insurance, they claim. So what? Shouldn't I get a say in what medical procedures are inflicted on me? And what if I don't have insurance? Must I go without if I can only pay for the things I think are necessary?

No comments:

Post a Comment