Wednesday, September 02, 2009

KENNEDY DIES; NO ONE NOTICES

I was in Texas when Senator Kennedy died, not returning home until the day before his funeral. One thing I noticed in the Texas newspaper was the relative lack of coverage. In the (Austin) American-Statesman, a very liberal newspaper, Kennedy's death was front page, but just barely above the fold.

Returning home, when I finally had time to skim the saved Washington DC newspapers last night, I noticed that on the day following Kennedy's death, the Washington Post (the liberal newspaper) had the death on the front page, above the fold, with a shared headline to other news. The Washington Times (the conservative newspaper) devoted the entire front page to Kennedy's death, with a larger than usual headline.

Huh. Two decidedly liberal newspapers downplay the Senator's death; the decidedly conservative newspaper gives a full front page to coverage. Maybe it’s just me, but my personal little conspiracy-laden snark department is wondering if it were all the direction of “The Won,” fearing a loss of worship.

No comments:

Post a Comment