Monday, September 01, 2008

WHY NOT SARAH PALIN FOR VEEP?

All on the Left, and some few on the Right, are a-twitter about Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin’s lack of foreign policy experience, being only a “single heartbeat” away from the presidency. I’m of a different mind.

I live just outside the Washington DC beltway, and work inside the beltway. Foreign policy experts are a dime a dozen here; foreign policy experts with diametrically opposed opinions are two for a quarter on any street corner.

When I go to the polls to vote, I look for three things: conviction, courage, and common sense.

Conviction – a coherent moral and ethical philosophy that captures his or her world view.

Courage – the ability to stand up and speak out for his or her convictions.

Common sense – the ability to weigh competing opinions enroute to a decision; more succintly, a finely-tuned BS detector.

From what I’ve read so far, Gov. Palin has all three.

Experience is vastly overrated. As I see it, three or four years of increasingly responsible experience is a bit more valuable that one year of experience repeated 20 times.

No comments:

Post a Comment