Monday, September 05, 2011

MORE ALASKA: our flight over Denali National Park.

Our floatplane: getting ready to board.

My daughter, preparing for takeoff (she was copilot by dint of getting the right seat).

Approaching McKinley over the tundra. The blur is the aircraft's propeller.

Flying through -- not over -- the mountains. We never flew over 8,000 feet. Mt. McKinley is (as I recall) about 13,000 feet. Many times we flew through canyons with sheer mountain walls on both sides of the aircraft.

Looking down on one of the many glaciers remaining.

This photo was taken by my daughter across the aircraft in front of the pilot. The rock wall towered above us, and was about 50 feet beyond our left wingtip. There were several times I thought I could just reach out and touch the walls as we went past.

Homeward bound: turning final on our approach back to Fish Lake.

No comments:

Post a Comment