Monday, March 12, 2012

NEWT FOR PRESIDENT: Seriously. I'm supporting Newt (with my money as well as my mouth) for three reasons.

First, he's the only serious candidate -- including Barack -- who has demonstrated a 'grand vision' for America. Something like Reagan's shining city on a hill. Sure, Newt's grand visions may be a bit too grand, but without a vision, what is there to strive for? Romney and Santorum are demonstrably capable of 'managing the decline' but neither has shown himself to be the visionary I want in the Oval Office.

Second, Gingrich is a 'Washington insider'. Some may think that a bad thing, but I differ. I've never liked the 'outsider' schtick, simply because the President will have to work with, go around, or bull through 535 other insiders. As Field Marshal Helmuth von Moltke observed, "no plan survives first contact with the enemy" and Gingrich knows Congress, knows where the bodies are buried, has proved he can get his way, and has made enough public Tea Party committments that he'll have a very hard time reneging on any of them. Unlike Democrats, Republicans tend to make promises they plan to keep.

Third, Newt, for my money, has his priorities straight. With the exception of Ron Paul on foreign affairs, the candidates' policy stances differ only in detail; all are for lower taxes, less regulation, more jobs, drilling for oil here and now, border control, repeal of ObamaCare, ad nauseum. Only Newt has shown the ability to step back from the current topic of debate and show how it fits into his grander vision of America to be.

And for my fourth and final reason, Thomas Sowell agrees with me.

My choices for the next President of the United States are, in order, Newt Gingrich, followed by Mitt Romney, followed by Rick Santorum, followed by Ron Paul, followed by Diamond (the fat cat), followed by Zeeba (the syphlitic camel), followed by a sack of hammers, followed by (gasp!) Barack Obama.

No comments:

Post a Comment