Friday, December 16, 2011

RANDOM THOUGHTS from the retirement lane. Effective January first, 100-watt incandescent light bulbs will be banned in the U.S. by an act of environmental stupidity. So when my supply of 100-watt bulbs gives out (in a year or two) I'll end up replacing the fixtures where I need 100-watt bulbs with fixtures that will hold two 60-watt bulbs.

So consider this: where I now use a single incandescent bulb that consumes 100 watts of electrical power and produces 1440 lumens of light output, I will eventually use two bulbs consuming 120 watts of electrical power and producing 1580 lumens of light output (which I could use, by the way, as my eyes are getting older).

So for all practical purposes, I will get a modest 9% improvement in light quality by paying a 20% increase in the cost of electricity for every 100-watt bulb I replace. Plus the cost of the new fixture.

All in the name of "improving energy efficiency."

UPDATE: Temporary reprieve.

No comments:

Post a Comment