Monday, June 07, 2010

MEGAN MCARDLE THINKS that there are no good answers on public pensions (i.e., Social Security). Her "no good answers" options include:

- eliminating the payroll tax ceiling;
- means testing benefits; and
- raising the retirement age.
With all due respect, I disagree. There is a good option, called getting the public (government) out of pensions. As one who is just 4 months shy of full retirement age, I've looked carefully at my soon-to-come social security benefits versus what my payroll taxes would have brought had they been invested in the stock market (privatized).

The difference is startling.

In one sense, though, McArdle is right - there are no good answers on public pensions. The good answer is with privatization.

1 comment:

  1. She obviously means, "No solutions that will make everyone happy, all the time, forever."

    This age of rainbow and unicorn political discourse can not end fast enough for me.

    ReplyDelete