Tuesday, December 01, 2009

LIVEBLOGGING OBAMA ON AFGHANISTAN

We know the basics: 30,000 troops (plus hopefully 10,000 NATO forces); 6 months to fully establish themselves in theater; and a "planned" withdrawal beginning in 2011.

8:01 PM: Obama enters.

8:04 PM: Going over some history ... Islam is one of the world's great religions. President Bush never mentioned. That should satisfy the PC crowd.

8:08 PM: I sent troops to Afghanistan immediately after I was inaugurated; I authorized strikes into Pakistan and the safe havens along the border.

8:10 PM: Let me clear .... there has been no request for additional troops prior to 2010. (Huh? Did he really say that?)

8:15 PM: Our goal remains the same: to disrupt, dismantle, defeat Al Qaida and Taliban in Afghanistan and Pakistan.

8:16 PM: I'm confident that our Allies will contribute (but there have been no announcements of assistance).

8:20 PM: The days of providing a blank check are over. Our strategy will include Pakistan as well.

8:21 PM: Quick summary. A three-part strategy - military effort, civilian surge, and partnership with Pakistan.

8:25 PM: Our costs for the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan when I was inaugurated approached one trillion dollars (but I spent well over a trillion in my first 9 months in office).

8:27 PM: The President has gone into campaign mode ... so much for the announcement.

8:28 PM: My goal is to rid the world of nuclear weapons (so Iran is redoubling it's effort to gain them).

8:29 PM: America will speak out for the world's human rights (but we won't do anything beyond speaking out).

8:31 PM: End of address.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
A disappointing speech. Listening to Charles Krauthammer, I'm in agreement - Obama's committment was conditional at best.

[Update] Thinking back, half his speech was in campaign mode. He's been President for 10 months now; isn't it time to quit campaigning, and start governing?

No comments:

Post a Comment