Tuesday, September 08, 2009

WHY I OPPOSE NATIONAL HEALTHCARE

For Megan McArdle at The Atlantic it comes down to the public option.


Basically, for me, it all boils down to public choice theory. Once we've got a comprehensive national health care plan, what are the government's incentives? I think they're bad, for the same reason the TSA is bad. I'm afraid that instead of Security Theater, we'll get Health Care Theater, where the government goes to elaborate lengths to convince us that we're getting the best possible health care, without actually providing it.

McArdle is right; based on the townhall meetings that have been reported, the basic concern expressed by the protestors is for the direction that a public option will take. Palin's 'death panels'; the possible loss of private insurance as employers try to migrate to the public option; all are symptoms of the underlying concern. And for that matter, I can't think of a single government-provided service that couldn't be done more efficently by private industry if only the government regulatory burden were removed.

1 comment:

  1. I've got one: Bulk mailings. I think Washington has that down perfectly at least.

    But man, exactly! It kills me that people don't realize that it never LOOKS like you're voting for something bad, it always starts with a kind word and a vague idea for a "better world."

    But I look forward to the TSA health care, where I get to wait four hours for a "free" X-Ray. Exciting.

    ReplyDelete