Wednesday, January 16, 2013

A PREVIEW of likely gun control recommendations. Some of the recommendations make sense, like improved background checks, but only if there are explicit legal procedures for adjudication of rejections. Closing the 'gun show loophole' could be accomplished by requiring the show sponsor to maintain a link to the National Instant Criminal Background Check System for the duration of the show, but true private sales (from me to my neighbor, for example) are realistically uncheckable.

Banning 'assault weapons' and 'high capacity magazines' is just plain silly. There's no essential difference between an 'assault' rifle and the Remington semi-automatic .22 I owned as a teenager 50+ years ago. My .22 also had a 'high capacity' (15-round tubular) magazine ... 50 years ago!

With handguns, magazine capacity is essentially irrelevant, since even someone as unpracticed as I can swap an empty magazine for a full one in less than a second (which I do routinely at the gun range).

I can live with the data/coordination/enforcement proposals if -- and it's a big if -- gun owner privacy were respected and guaranteed in law. For example, by jailing the owners and employees of the Journal-News, razing their building, and salting the earth underneath.

No comments:

Post a Comment