Monday, March 30, 2009

TENT CITIES

In an earlier post I referred to a New York Times article (pictures here) on homelessness in California.

Homelessness is sad anywhere, but just to put those pictures in context, here is a reminder of the sacrifices our military are making in Iraq and Afghanistan.

This is one of the Times' pictures.



This is the interior of the trailer I lived in during my 2008 deployment.



Here is a second Times photo of a homeless "village."



This is our "village" in Iraq. The shelters are cargo containers.



And I would end by pointing out that these are the high–dollar quarters for senior military and civilian – basic quarters are nowhere near as nice.

2 comments:

  1. Once again, casual pajama-blogging puts things in better perspective with less words and time than the New York Times can in years and with thousands of paragraphs.

    By the by, I hope it goes without saying that I deeply thank you for your service to our country.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Truly, it was an honor for me to be able to serve. I would do it in an instant if given the opportunity again.

    ReplyDelete