Sunday, January 31, 2010

WASHINGTON EXAMINER columnist Gregory Kane on "culturally relevant" education. "They [black boys] are not seeing themselves in the curriculum, and they do not see where it is relevant outside of school and therefore do not see it as an investment in their future."

As a former black boy myself -- one who managed to learn how to read, write and master enough math to get me through algebra and calculus -- I feel compelled to slash through this web of nonsense.

When I was a lad I did not have to "see" myself in the curriculum. The only picture I needed to see was my mother's foot being placed firmly up my derriere if I didn't bring home good grades from school. You'd be amazed at how "relevant" that made everything my teachers taught me.

In other words, the geography I learned in eighth grade, the history and the science: all were relevant outside of school because my mother said they were. And her vote was the only one that counted.

Start talking about "culturally relevant teaching strands," and you may end up teaching students absolute nonsense.
It doesn't matter if you "see yourself" in the subject taught; it does matter that you master it.

No comments:

Post a Comment